Okay definitely NOT SOLVED.
I put Legend back on my phone and synced up with a bunch of changes I had made on desktop last night. I went into town and added some notes to items as I was completing them. But while I was doing that, I noticed a project I had made last night simply wasn’t appearing. When I got home and could pay better attention I went hunting for it in the mobile app, turning off filters etc. to make sure it wasn’t hidden. Nope, not there.
I booted up my laptop and turned off wifi before logging in to prevent sync, then went to check for the missing project. Yep: it was just where I had expected it to be. So I hesitantly turned wifi back on and watched Legend sync, whereupon I watched the following things happen:
- The items I had added in mobile synced back over to desktop: expected
- The project that had never synced to mobile from desktop now disappeared from desktop
- On the same Board, I had a Pane viewing one of my top-level branches which contained four sub-branches. Three of them just plain disappeared!!! I never even opened those branches in mobile…why?!?!
- Elsewhere in that document, yet again I had a smattering of zombie items reappear
- These are items that I had just yesterday moved out of my “inbox” area at the top of the outline and filed into the body of the outline … now they’re back, but at the bottom of the outline instead of the top, where they had been.
- I saw them first when viewing my inbox in mobile, then after I synced the desktop app, they all turned into broken links – the item content is replaced with just the item ID (gibberish like: -MgS23KZdOCAenS2T_1u), which is displayed in [[link]] formatting – even though these had just been plain items, not links or mirrors.
- I’m certain that some of the zombies had been organized into one of the branches that got blown away. I’m not sure if other zombies were put into the other two vaporized branches, so it’s not clear if the mechanism that spawns zombies is the same one that blows away outline branches, of if that’s just a coincidence.
- The rest of that document appears OK but here again…I wouldn’t know how many things have been quietly blown away at this point. The scope of the mis-syncing doesn’t appear to be limited to where I actually worked, which means defects could be anywhere.
- The web app appears to have the same sync state as on desktop. I didn’t check it before using the mobile app so I can’t be positive that my desktop changes from last night actually synced up to the server, but I have no reason to think they didn’t, either.
This is all in STABLE.
This is the biggest and most recent step backwards from what used to be a totally solid sync experience in the app. I left beta because I couldn’t afford all the time I was losing to fixes in Legend, and now here I am in stable with the same problems. Where am I supposed to go from here?
@Jay, is this really only happening to a handful of us? Is it connected to older accounts, or documents over a certain size? I can’t get through two days without having to fix my outlines – unless I sandbox Legend to strictly local operation. Is there some feature that’s been added in the past year or two that is making sync so sketchy? Maybe mirrors? Because at this point I’d say you’re better off killing whatever “feature” is breaking your sync system, even if it means cutting back functionality – just to get the app reliable.
A productivity app without reliable sync isn’t worth dirt.