A checked back in on a competitor of Legend that I used (and loved) for a long time. I still struggle a bit; because opening that competitor, the look and feel is like “going home”. Legend has features that work better for me, but even as long as I’ve used it; the look and feel is still clunky.
Here’s an attempt to lay out some of the things that contribute to that “clunky” feel, and can hopefully be fixed!
- Scroll bars are ugly and always visible: on the board pane - when side docked, the pop out “overview pane” and on the boards themselves. The competitor hides the scrollbars until you mouse over them. Other apps (i’m looking at MailBird) at least resize the bars so they are less intrusive.
- Minimizing the sideview board pane, the scroll bar remains visible and completely covers the view making it unusable on windows.
- Minimizing the board pane on TOP view, at least the scroll bar hides; but as soon as I mouse over to use it, the board names are again unreadable as they are covered by the scroll bar.
- Overview panel cannot be resized. There are lots of use cases where I’d like to utilize the overview panel to really SEE my outlines and documents easily, but since I cannot resize it, the usage is limited. (And again, the scroll bar should hide; not stay ugly and visible).
- Board pane - the black is quite “in your face”. I’ve toned mine down to a milder grey to make it less visually distracting.
- When the Overview Pane is closed, a single board can take up as much of the screen as I wish with nice whitespace all the way around. However, if the overview pane is open (which I want in most cases), the outline text is “squished” against that pane without any visual break / white space between them. The ability to resize the Overview pane might fix this. Or perhaps a display setting to choose the “left side padding” relative to the width of the pane?
- The Overview Pane does not duplicate outline formatting. That also makes it harder to use. If the text in my outline is bold, or bold and underlined, or has a Prefix - I would like to see that duplicated in the overview pane as well.
None of this is “major” but it does contribute to the FEEL of the app - which you could argue is kind of a major thing.