[edit: I didn’t see the comment above that was posted while I was writing - see next comment]
Jay It doesn’t really sound like the same problem. I think I moved one item to another document a few days ago, but otherwise not. I haven’t moved any of the stuff that’s gone missing. Also, it’s not just missing things, it’s really scrambled. There are things that I’m sure I deleted that are now back, things moved around on their own, changes I made a day or two being undone, and the discrepancy between the mobile app and the desktop… Changes I make are still syncing live between them, like filtering, expanding/collapsing, etc., even though the document on each is very different from the other now. I’m afraid to make any further changes. To make matters worse, I had made just one large “notes” document that contains many sections on different topics.
Anyway, the big question is how do I reclaim the data, if possible? I do have backups turned on, but I don’t see any from yesterday, before this happened. There are some from the day before, but I made a bunch of changes yesterday. I’ve spent a couple of hours now trying to piece it together. Right now I’m manually re-typing stuff from my phone screen into a different app so I don’t lose it and can continue with my tasks. I don’t have time to re-type the whole section though, nevermind the whole document…
Ok, I just tried to filter on some of the missing text in the second pane where I’ve been editing it, and it didn’t work. Then I tried a global search, which found it, still in the same document. I clicked on the search result and it opened the document in the first pane, and the missing items are there, but in the wrong places. They should be all together in the one “to do” section, but some are at the very beginning of the document right after the first project heading, some at an unrelated place halfway through the document, and others are at the very end - not where they should be, and not where the are on the mobile app. At least one of them is something I’m sure I already deleted.
I tried exporting it as OPML, and when I import it into Circus Ponies Notebook, it’s the same thing - text is missing from where it should be, but shows up with some of it at the top of the document, some in the middle, and some at the very end.