When I launch the Windows desktop app, the window opens up but then, after 2 to 5 seconds, the app freezes. A few seconds later, it closes. This is currently happening on Windows 11 and Windows 10. Some other points to note:
- Legend still works in my web browser, but I’m not able to click links to local files to open them directly in their native desktop applications which slows down my workflow a lot.
- After reinstallation, the app seems fine until I log into my account then the issue appears when the app tries to load my documents.
- I’ve reinstalled the app a few times, deleting the contents of AppData > Roaming > Legend before reinstallation and this didn’t fix the issue.
- I think that the app is freezing and closing before I can interact with live, synched versions of my documents. When I try opening it and making a small change like adding a bullet, that bullet is sometimes visible the next time I open the desktop app again, but it doesn’t show up in the web browser version.
- There’s no error message telling me why the app is closing.
- I’ve tried changing from beta to stable by modifying prefs.json but it doesn’t work in either mode.
- I noticed this issue shortly after the recent update to Legend’s sync. On one of my computers, Legend.exe was working fine, I updated and it immediately stopped working in the way that I described here.
I’m still able to use the web version, thankfully, but I marked this issue as urgent because the desktop app is crashing persistently as Legend.exe has not worked since the issue first surfaced on any of my 3 computers.
Does anyone have any ideas for how to troubleshoot this?
I’ve managed to replicate the issue with a new Legend account, but it’s not what I originally thought. Once I linked my Outlook.com email account to the new Legend account, I got the same persistent crashing behaviour again. Before linking these, the Windows desktop app seemed to work fine with the new Legend account. I was even able to open and use documents that I shared from my main Legend account, which I thought might have been the cause. I’ll try unlinking my Outlook account from my Legend accounts somehow to hopefully reverse this issue.