Jay I just started the long process of restoring notes, going through version history starting with most recent and working backward in time. I did have some notes that last appeared in version history on 9/12/23 so they appear as Deleted in the verison history of that day. I restored them successfully (the restoration worked and they remained after re-starting… they did not disappear again) so the restoration process seems to be fixed.
What’s concerning is that the notes disappeared as recently as 9/12, so unless you have made changes to address this since, there is still an issue.
Also I had an entire branch of 31 items disappear on or after 9/10/23, as it is in the version history for that date but not after. I didn’t notice this until going through version history.
The root item of that branch was previously a header type and I had changed it to a task type and moved it at around that time. I wonder if changing the type confused the sync. Also at around this time, I was temporarily using a different computer (a Mac) instead of my usual Windows computer, so there would have been an additional client that was syncing for a couple days.
While I am not sure, I do think some of the items for which I lost notes had their type changed, either from task to plain or vice versa. Mentioning this in case it could be related… i.e., perhaps changing item type is causing a sync problem. I tried to reproduce this in a test document but could not.
Finally, a remaining big problem is that when I try to view a version in Version History that is 8/31 or prior, the version history window gets stuck on “Loading…” and I have to close the Windows app. As a result, I cannot restore deleted notes before this date (many were deleted in July and Aug). I do wonder if the version has too many differences, the process takes too long and times out or something to that effect.